This was one of the earlier pics of the car when it was road registered. When i bought the car it came with a 2k or 3k engine in it which i took out and replaced it with a 4AGZE engine with a T3 turbo and a Linkplus ECU. I ran this for a while on the road and had a few track days worth of fun.
This pic was after i pieced together the space frame design within the confines of the factory shell and trying to work out where i could place different components.
Painted in PA10 etch primer just to stop corrosion throughout the build
This shows the first header style i ran for a while using 2" primaries in 304 stainless and back to a 3" system. I have since changed this to a 1 7/8" primary design with a 2 1/2" system to try to increase air speed.
This shows the removal of the VVTi. I did end up modifying the standard pulleys to start with and have since gone to Toda racing vernier pulleys.
Pace dry sump pump location and plumbing, Quite an early pump from Pace but over the years has proving to be very reliable.
This shows a full shot of the space frame when i fired up the engine for the first time. I was running the same Linkplus ECU that i ran on the 4agze engine but just reconfigured it for the Beams engine. Notice i only ran the engine for 30 seconds or so as the water cooling was not finished but it did give a lot of satisfaction to get to that point. The wheels and tyres here came off a Ford Escort racecar. The wheels being Haliday racing wheels made in NZ and the tyres were Hoosier. Front width were 9 inch and rears were 10 inch.
I had to cut the original body panels quite a bit to fit on. This body kit was a N2 kit and the rear spoiler was a modified Nissan GTIR unit.
I began to shape up the body kit. It changed numerous times over the years using a combination of MDF, alloy, foam etc to make up the plugs.
Filled and painted in Duratec before polishing and taking the moulds off.
Mould making using tooling gelcoat.
The final side pods and rear guards came in at approx 1.2 kgs each part using a couple of layers of glass.
Bleeding the brakes with Dad.
Quite an early interior shot.
This was a Honda alloy radiator i ran for a while. Not overly large but did manage to hold temps where they needed to be.
This shows the mods and what was left of the original Toyota Starlet shell. I only kept what i needed and when bolted onto the chassis in six places managed to hold its own shape ok.
Back from paint in satin black 2k
Beginnings of the new exhaust system.
Details for this system are in the specs page of this site.
The new mould for the new bonnet.
Out of the mould showing the reinforcement. This was definitely a work in progress being that the first time i had it on the track it bowed up as it was only 3 layers of glass. I have since added a little more strength and are running a total of 6 bonnet pins to hold it secure at high speed.
One of the first carbon trumpets.
When i first installed the new ECU and wiring loom. This is located above the gearbox.